Denise Goldberg's blog

A coastline beckons
Rocks and crashing waves, an enticement for bicycle and camera

Monday, September 24, 2007

Split personality

...a ride, a coastal walk, a drive

Ah, one more day to enjoy visions of the sea, to roll along the gentle hills, to visit with the birds...

Today's excellent breakfast included pancakes with grated lemons and currents in them. It sounded a bit odd to me, although the smell of lemons emerging from the kitchen was wonderful. That interesting combination adorned with a light coating of maple syrup provided quite a taste delight. Funny, yesterday's desire to go back to simpler foods didn't apply to my B&B breakfasts. I have to admit that I'll be quite happy to return to my morning cereal and fresh fruit though.

Happy stomach, car packed, bicycle ready to roll... Of course you probably already know where I rode today. Yes, really. I headed around Park Loop Road for the third time on this trip. I had different lighting conditions on each loop. The angle of the early morning sun set up patches of sparkling water. A quiet ocean, topped with ripples and sparkles, more beauty.

After I finished the loop for the last time (for this trip, that is), my bike jumped into my car for a lift home, and I headed into the B&B to change into non-biking clothes. My car didn't seem to know how to turn away from Acadia, and I headed back out to the coast for a last camera stop. That stop was rewarded by a butterfly posing for photos. What a nice surprise.

OK, OK, it's 2:00, and I have a long drive ahead of me. A lobster roll for a late lunch made my stomach happy, and then I headed for home.

Some pockets of bright yellow & red trees popped up between the coast and Augusta, and then green became the color of choice once more. Driving from daylight through sunset and into the night sky...