Denise Goldberg's blog

A coastline beckons
Rocks and crashing waves, an enticement for bicycle and camera

Friday, September 21, 2007

Looping in two modes

...conversations with strangers

This morning's air held a touch of chill along with blue skies. The chill (temporarily) disappeared as I headed uphill toward Acadia. My first glimpse of the ocean showed islands capped with fog, and a wall of fog off in the distance. It was frustrating beauty, impossible to capture with a camera. And it wasn't just me - I had a long conversation with a photographer while he was swapping lenses and trying to get that perfect image. It wasn't working for him either. My camera kept clicking anyaway... It's always fun trying to capture impossible images.

While fog was decorating the ocean, the sky above me remained blue for a while longer. That ended as the road curved back toward the ocean, and the wall of white crept closer to shore. Fog? A marine layer? Whatever it was brought both cooler temperatures and fuzzy images. Mist, floating, receding, blowing back across the rocks once again. Riding, rolling wheels, feet turning circles and keeping me warm...

I rolled by Sand Beach and Thunder Hole, watching the mist across the rocks, rolling... Almost as soon as I turned inland, the mist cleared, blue took over the sky once again, and I was finally able to shed my extra layers. Warmth...

Once around Park Loop Road, and then my bike explored a few more roads before I switched modes of transportation. I headed back into the park to play along the coast. It was time to do a little walking.

There were some black & white birds playing in the water, tempting my camera. I was never able to get close enough to the swiftly paddling birds to get a good picture, but it was fun to try. It was a challenge traversing the blocks of rock, finding a path to get closer to the water, then finding another path back to the road again. My initial look at the terrain would convince me that I couldn't move any closer, and then I'd see another person closer to the edge of the water. Hmm... if she was able to get down there, then I can too!

It was a day of conversations with strangers, about riding, about cameras. It was (another) day of riding, of camera play, of chasing birds across the rocks in an attempt to capture their images. I think that I will be quite happy with a repeat tomorrow. (Are you bored yet? I'm not!)